Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Carbon Fast for Lent: Day 29 and 30

Day 29 - Run your washing machine at 30 degrees. This uses 40% less electricity than running at 40 degrees.

Day 30 - Find out a new fact about the impact of climate change today. Amaze your friends.


Well, the past two days have been pretty full, and so I am just now catching up on today's and yesterday's Carbon Fast activities. I actually had to do the calculation to convert 40 C and 30 C - it's 104 F and 86 F respectively. I guess it's the difference between hot and warm water - since I haven't had my own washing machine in about 4 years, I'll have to re-teach myself about these things. I was told that whites should be washed in hot, but I really don't know if there's anything to that. Does anyone know?

A fact about global warming I did not know:

• Arctic ice is rapidly disappearing, and the region may have its first completely ice-free summer by 2040 or earlier. Polar bears and indigenous cultures are already suffering from the sea-ice loss.

So....go wash in warm water, not hot!

Be gracious to your people, we entreat you, O Lord, that they, repenting day by day of the things that displease you, may be more and more filled with love of you and of your commandments; and, being supported by your grace in this life, may come to the full enjoyment of eternal life in your everlasting kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

RFSJ

No comments: