Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Season is Incredible

This week I've spent some time outside looking at the leaves. Last Tuesday a friend and I visited High Point State Park in Sussex County. at 1803 feet, the High Point monument is the highest place inNew Jersey. On a clear day, which it was, you can see almost four states!

Last Friday I took a drive up the Delaware River into New York. I wish I had brought my camera, because it was truly stunning. Deep valleys to the left, nearly sheer cliffs to the right on Rt. 97. There's a nice picture from the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River site from the National Park Service.




Finally, on Monday I took another drive up due north into New York and discovered the Mohonk Preserve, a privately funded forest preserve dedicated to protecting the Shawangunk Mountains by insporing people to care for, explore, and enjoy the natural world. Here's a pic from their site, which does nto really do justice to the immesity of the ridge itself:




Autumn in this area of the country has just been truly grand, and excellent reflectional fodder for the Autumn Quiet Day coming up on Saturday.

RFSJ


No comments: