Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pray For Those Who Persecute You

On this day after after 9-11, it seems appropriate to follow that other commandment of our Lord: "but I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." (Matt 5:44, from the Sermon on the Mount.) I don't know that I personally am ready to love my enemies the terrorists, but I can and do pray for them:

O God, the Father of all, whose Son commanded us to love
our enemies: Lead them and us from prejudice to truth;
deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in
your good time enable us all to stand reconciled before you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

That's hard to do, especially after the day after we observe the modern-day Slaughter of the Innocents. And yet, why not now? If not today, when?

RFSJ

1 comment:

Troglodyteus said...

Pray for your enemies.
It’s the most insidious thing
you can do to them.