Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Proper of the Day: Last Pentecost

Today is the Last Sunday after Pentecost, reckoned as Christ the King Sunday in much of the West. This theme is quite recent, having been promulgated by Pope Pius XII in 1925. The RCL observes it, as does the BCP and the Lutheran lectionary. Many others do too.

I'm still visiting my parents this weekend, and so I worshiped at Trinity Episcopal Church in downtown Toledo. They offer a festive Eucharist very much styled after that of St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church in San. Francisco. I enjoyed much of it a great deal, and the sermon was very much along the lines of the stained glass widow to the left. I do wish there had been someone to greet me and explain what was going to happen as I walked in, and that the full-text program would also give some worship notes about moving from the vestibule to the chair and then to the Altar.

The choir did a very nice drone during the Eucharistic Prayer itself. I found myself wishing the music for that was also in the program - I'd have liked to participate in that as well.

Some of this is my own shyness at visiting places I'd never been, but since we've all been talking about welcoming folks, I think it's OK to report the not-so-good along with the good.

Almighty and everlasting God, whose will it is to restore all things in your well-beloved Son, the King of kings and Lord of lords: Mercifully grant that the peoples of the earth, divided and enslaved by sin, may be freed and brought together under his most gracious rule; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

RFSJ

No comments: