Friday, November 9, 2007

"So that we may delight in your will..."

This evening while reciting Evening Prayer, I was struck by the phrase "so that we may delight in your will," which is part of Confession. The entire sentence is:

For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ,
have mercy on us and forgive us,
so that we may delight in your will,
and walk in your ways,
to the glory of your holy Name. Amen.

Delighting in God's will. I think it struck me because I'm not feeling that way right now. I am confident that it is God's will for me to move on from my current position, but I am feeling very alone and scared at the moment. As the prayer from Thomas Merton goes, "I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot be certain where it will end." I am very much in that place right now. God's will is unknown to me at the moment, and it's really hard to take delight on something I only know at the moment as unknown and scary.

RFSJ

No comments: