Monday, July 30, 2007

Eternal Rest Grant Unto Him, O Lord


...and let light perpetual shine upon him.

Today the Diocese of Indianapolis announced that the Rt. Rev. Edward ("Ted") Jones, IX bishop of Indianapolis, died on Saturday after a lengthy illness. ENS has an article as well. Bishop Jones retired in 1997 after serving the Diocese for 20 years. I knew Bishop Jones a little bit. I was received by him into the Episcopal Church on Pentecost of 1997, in what I believe was his last Episcopal act before retiring. I and the four others who were ordained to the diaconate with me were privileged to invite him to preach last June in Indianapolis. His sermon was warm and inspiring.

O God of grace and glory, we remember before you this day our brother Edward. We thank you for giving him to us, his family and friends, to know and to love as a companion on our earthly pilgrimage. In your boundless compassion, console us who mourn. Give us faith to see in death the gate of eternal life, so that in quiet confidence we may continue our course on earth, until, by your call, we are reunited with those who have gone before; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Most merciful God, whose wisdom is beyond our understanding, deal graciously with Anne and the Jones family in their grief. Surround them with your love, that they may not be overwhelmed by their loss, but have confidence in your goodness, and strength to meet the days to come; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the souls of all the faithfully departed, in the mercies of God Almighty, rest in peace.

RFSJ

2 comments:

The Shiny Monkey said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful tribute.

Ted was, for me, the kindest most wonderful Godfather a person could have.

There was not a time in my life when thinking of he and Anne did not brighten my day and help me remember that people can be fundamentally good, kind and loving.

RFSJ said...

You're very welcome. Bishop Ted always remembered that I grew up in Toledo, and often reminded me that his grandfather was, if I remember correctly, Samuel "Golden Rule" Jones, mayor from 1897-1904.

Please accept my condolences.

RFSJ