Wednesday, May 23, 2007

This Week in the Daily Office

In the Daily Office lectionary this week, the (optional) OT lesson for Evening Prayer is a series of apparent theophanies taken from a variety of writings. I always like it when the Office Lectionary does something like that. Instead of in-course readings from Ezekiel (the OT sequence for Morning Prayer this week) we get a survey of readings that the Office Lectionary writers invite us to reflect on.

This week is the week of Easter VII, when we pray for the Holy Spirit that was promised to come quickly. So I've got to think that the OT lessons have something to do with the Sacred Spook, although at my first reading the overall theme isn't exactly clear, at least to me. But here they are. See for yourself and let me know what you think:

Sunday: Exodus 3:1-12
Monday: Joshua 1:1-9
Tuesday: I Sam 16:1-13a
Wed.: Isaiah 4:2-6
Thurs.: Zechariah 4:1-14
Friday: Jer. 31:27-34
Saturday (the Eve. of Pentecost): Exodus 19: 3-8a, 16-20

RFSJ

No comments: