Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary


Today we observe the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a Major Feast in the Episcopal Church that commemorates the visit of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist. It's full of pregnant (pardon the expression) meaning, and it's here when Mary utters the great hymn Magnificat, "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord!"

I confess that the Prot in me is a little suspicious of the feasts of Mary, but I also realize that they have been a part of Christianity for a very long time. I hope I can make room in my heart and mind and soul to try to be open to what they teach me. I may never have a devotion to Mary, but I do pray to be able to enter into these celebrations in a more open spirit.

Here's a nice recording of a Magnificat for your enjoyment:



Get this widget | Share | Track details




RFSJ

No comments: