Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Carbon Fast for Lent: Day 14

Today is is Thursday in the Second Week of Lent, and that makes it Day 14 in the Carbon Fast for Lent. Today's activity:

Day 14: Take a shower instead of a bath: you'll heat less water.

Well, I always take a shower anyway, and the head in my shower is one of those low-water-density ones that still spray a nice spray. But since this is the UK version, I guess baths are something the English like to do. I suspect most Americans take showers, I don't know. I haven't regularly taken a bath in a very long time.

I'm reminded of those huge ceiling mounted shower heads in some hotels - it's like standing in very heavy warm rain. It's quite nice, but it sure uses a lot fo water. And then I'm reminded of the fountains on the Las Vegas Strip - they are amazing but I cannot help but wincing that they are running fountains in the middle of the desert, when Lake Meade is going dry!

O Lord, strong and mighty, Lord of hosts and King of glory: Cleanse our hearts from sin, keep our hands pure, and turn our minds from what is passing away; so that at the last we may stand in your holy place and receive your blessing; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

RFSJ



No comments: