Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Carbon Fast For Lent: Day 8

Day 8: Unplug your mobile phone charger: it uses electricity even when it's not charging.

OK....excuse me for a moment....done!

I was really thinking about my carbon fast today when I shelled out $1600 in car repairs. I went in for 45K maintenance and the service manager pointed out all the other things that I should have done to keep my investment running well. Sigh. he was right, but replacing the timing belt 11,000 miles early hurt. He explained that although the car didn't have a lot of miles on it (49,000) it was a 2002 model and the belts deteriorate with age and not just usage. Why can't they make belts that don't do that? Planned obsolescence, i suppose - it keeps chumps like me paying for the maintenance rather than just waiting for the damn thing to fail.

Anyway, who is the saint in charge of cars? I'll say a prayer for not having to keep doing this. I've been a fan of preventative maintenance (it's a common topic in IT for computers, servers, etc.) and it should be done for cars too. Still, being a carbonista is expensive! Just think of the moolah I'd have if I didn't have a car - didn't *have* to have a car....

Bless us, O God, in this holy season, in which our hearts seek your help and healing; and so purify us by your discipline that we may grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

RFSJ

No comments: